TDS Telecommunications has announced the company is receiving USD 3.9 million in funding to improve broadband service in parts of California. In February, TDS submitted applications to the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) for two California Advanced Services Fund Infrastructure (CASF) grants. On 3 October, the PUC approved TDS' grant applications to improve broadband services in: Southeast California: Winterhaven and surrounding areas of Imperial County including the Quechan Reservation, Northern California: Villages of Olinda and IGO, the western part of Anderson, and surrounding areas in Shasta County. The grants cover approximately 60 percent of the cost to improve services in the project areas. TDS will invest the remaining 40 percent. Once complete, about 2,900 households will experience improved service from TDS. The upgrades include new Ethernet equipment and fibre-optics.