A crowd of civic-minded code developers gathered for Code Michigan this past weekend to design and build mobile applications for state government and have a shot at winning
"Code Michigan is a great example of people working together to enhance government," said Gov.
The state's first-ever Code Michigan began Friday and ran through Sunday, Oct. 6.Cash prizes and opportunities to pitch developed applications to real venture capitalists were awarded to the best, most viable and useful applications developed at the event.
"It (Code Michigan) was an excellent opportunity and anytime you can get your hands on open data, take it," Harrell said.
A team from
"This weekend some of the best and brightest code developers from around the state, nation and world put their skills to work for the public good," said
Civic coding is the act of creating works of software for the purpose of promoting government transparency, citizen engagement, government efficiency, public policy, and monitoring emerging issues and economic development.
"It took a crew of 42 volunteers, more than 20 sponsors and eager coders to make the state's first-ever Code Michigan a success," said
The state will now begin the work to implement the applications and make them available for public use in the near future.
The state worked with several private and public partners to make Code Michigan happen, including the
CC Autotriage7sm-131008-30TagarumaMar-4512597 30TagarumaMar
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Obamacare Doing Just Fine, Ky. Governor Says
- Rand Paul Signs up for Obamacare
- Thalia Gets Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- World Cup Draws: Coaches, Players Offer Insights
- Hispanic Employment Improves in November
- Texas Chiller Moves East
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise