WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker John Boehner says he is willing to negotiate budget issues with President Barack Obama without any conditions.
The Ohio Republican told reporters Tuesday, quote, "I'm not drawing any lines in the sand."
Boehner spoke as the government's partial shutdown entered the eighth day. An even bigger financial crisis looms next week when the government reaches the limit of its authority to borrow money.
Republicans have said they want changes to Obama's signature health care law in exchange for reopening the government. They have said they want spending cuts in exchange for raising the debt limit.
Obama says he won't negotiate over reopening the government or raising the debt limit.
Boehner said, quote, "All we're asking for is to sit down and have this conversation."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8