Many governments are cutting budgets and some of
No one really likes to talk about the business of war, but for the
Last month, a record 1,600 companies from around the world flocked to
The British industry employs 300,000 people, including the supply chain, and has a turnover of £22.1 billion (Dh130.02bn). It has a fifth of the world's defence spending and is the second-biggest supplier of defence and arms, behind the US.
These problems come just when the British government needs to promote defence as an industry as part of its efforts to rebalance the whole economy away from financial services and towards manufacturing.
"This is a huge period of adjustment for the defence industry and it will undoubtedly lead to a change of emphasis for some companies,' says
"While the next few years will undoubtedly be tough, I believe governments will recognise that there is a limit to how much you can go on cutting defence capability."
Dismay at the extent of
The government has hinted that it sees the future of
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits