Oct. 07--Sikorsky Aircraft, which builds and tests military helicopters in western Palm Beach County, has canceled its plan to furlough 2,000 workers due to the federal government shutdown, parent firm United Technologies Corp. said Monday.
The cancellation follows the recall of Defense Contract Management Agency inspectors responsible for auditing and approving operations throughout the manufacturing process for military products, UTC. said. While the shutdown continues, the Pentagon on Saturday recalled most of its 350,000 workers.
UTC has said it would furlough up to 5,000 workers, including some potentially at Pratt & Whitney in Palm Beach County, if the shutdown continues.
(c)2013 the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Visit the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at www.sun-sentinel.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Sikorsky cancels furlough plan
Most Popular Stories
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Illinois Issues Fracking Rules
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- 'Longmire' Cancelled, Looks for New Network
- Clippers Deal Started With 2 Numbers
- Hip-Hop Takes Up Ferguson Cause
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE