Oct. 07--Sikorsky Aircraft, which builds and tests military helicopters in western Palm Beach County, has canceled its plan to furlough 2,000 workers due to the federal government shutdown, parent firm United Technologies Corp. said Monday.
The cancellation follows the recall of Defense Contract Management Agency inspectors responsible for auditing and approving operations throughout the manufacturing process for military products, UTC. said. While the shutdown continues, the Pentagon on Saturday recalled most of its 350,000 workers.
UTC has said it would furlough up to 5,000 workers, including some potentially at Pratt & Whitney in Palm Beach County, if the shutdown continues.
(c)2013 the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Visit the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at www.sun-sentinel.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Sikorsky cancels furlough plan
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- New Auto Plant to Create 155 Jobs in Kentucky
- Google Q1 Earnings Dip as Ad Prices Slip
- Generating Solar Power in the Dark
- Earthlike Planet Found in Red Dwarf's Goldilocks Zone
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up