Oct. 07--Sikorsky Aircraft, which builds and tests military helicopters in western Palm Beach County, has canceled its plan to furlough 2,000 workers due to the federal government shutdown, parent firm United Technologies Corp. said Monday.
The cancellation follows the recall of Defense Contract Management Agency inspectors responsible for auditing and approving operations throughout the manufacturing process for military products, UTC. said. While the shutdown continues, the Pentagon on Saturday recalled most of its 350,000 workers.
UTC has said it would furlough up to 5,000 workers, including some potentially at Pratt & Whitney in Palm Beach County, if the shutdown continues.
(c)2013 the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
Visit the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) at www.sun-sentinel.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Original headline: BRIEF: Sikorsky cancels furlough plan
Most Popular Stories
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Target Security Breach May Affect 40 Million Cardholders
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Tyson Foods Charged With Civil Rights Violation
- Texting With Vodka: Booze and Social Media Can Mix After All
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart
- How to Protect Yourself After Target Data Breach
- Bernanke Lets Congress Have It in Final Press Conference
- Wall Street Falls a Day After Surge
- Hispanic PR Firm Launches Chicago Chapter