LONDON - Fresh from roaming the universe in "Doctor Who," Matt Smith is to play a style-obsessed killer roaming New York in the stage musical "American Psycho."
The musical is based on Bret Easton Ellis's 1991 novel about a homicidal yuppie obsessed with high-end clothes and beauty products. It was later made into a movie starring Christian Bale.
Producers announced Monday that Smith, who leaves BBC sci-fi series "Doctor Who" later this year, will play Patrick Bateman, "one of the most iconic antiheroes of the 20th century."
Rupert Goold will direct the show, opening at London's Almeida Theatre on Dec. 12.
It is written by Tony Award-winning songwriter Duncan Sheik ("Spring Awakening") and playwright Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, who worked on TV series "Glee" and the Broadway production of "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark."
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Donors Abandon GOP Over Gun Stance
- Mexico: 'Extremely Dangerous' Radioactive Material Stolen
- CEOs More Optimistic About Economy, Hiring
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs
- Newtown 911 Tapes Being Released Today
- Calif. Likes Christie, Says Tea Party's a Drag