BACK in 1988, the world's first submarine fibre optic telephone cables were laid on the ocean floors, linking
With the advent of fibre optics, the Internet also became faster and information, data, video and voice from the other side of the world can travel at the speed of light.
Over the decades however, Internet traffic became heavier, crowded and slower, dragging the broadband speed down to a snail's pace - at the expense of the users.
One aspect in the whole fibre optic myriad is also missing - an Internet highway to call our own.
It was a historic moment last Wednesday when
The gateway, which is
The gateway will also attract Internet users like multinationals, firms and users from
Naturally, they would opt for this new highway as an alternative over that of other already congested highways such as the Singapore transit point and at a fraction of the cost.
Companies and regular Internet users would also want various but stable alternatives for their online surfing and not just rely on one Internet highway.
Multinationals and other firms operating in the region would want options for their Internet traffic and if one highway is too slow and takes too long, naturally firms would want another highway.
"It is like when you go home from work... one route is congested while another is free of traffic but you have to pay toll while another is slightly further but has no toll. Wouldn't you, as a road user, want the right to choose which route to take?," asked a
The gateway will hopefully enable
Time dotCom executive director and chief executive officer
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Fake Deaf Interpreter Was Hallucinating, Has Schizophrenia
- Tea Party Glum in Face of Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Health Coverage Disparities Emerge Among States
- Futures Fall, Holiday Spending and Unemployment Up