Stephen Vogt's RBI single in the ninth inning Saturday lifted Oakland to a 1-0 decision over Detroit in Game 2 of their American League Division Series.
After battling through 8 1/2 scoreless innings, the Athletics mounted a threat against Tigers reliever Al Alburquerque (0-1) when Yoenis Cespedes began the inning with single to right and went to third base on Seth Smith's base hit down the right field line.
Josh Riddick was intentionally walked to load the bases and Rick Porcello, making his first relief appearance of the year, was brought in to face Vogt.
But the Oakland catcher scorched a hit to left through a drawn-in infield for the game-winner, which evened the best-of-five ALDS at 1-1.
Grant Balfour (1-0) earned the decision after A's rookie Sonny Gray had blanked the Tigers on four hits over eight innings, walking two and striking out nine.
Detroit starter Justin Verlander tossed seven innings of shutout ball, scattering four hits while walking one and fanning 11.
The Tigers have failed to score a run over 17 straight innings in the ALDS.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday
- Gas Prices May Jump from Calif. Emissions Law