THANKS For Sharing is a sensitively handled drama comedy that address the thorny subject of sex addiction through the eyes of three men.
There's a lot of frank discourse in the script, co-written by Matt Winston.
While the online fantasises are undeniably X-rated, Blumberg's film aims for something less lurid, balancing brash comedy with tearful confessions.
He is aided by a strong ensemble cast including Alecia Moore, aka pop star Pink, who could easily swap the recording studio for the film set on this evidence.
Adam (Mark Ruffalo) has been sober for five years and celebrates in the company of his sponsor Mike (Tim Robbins) and other addicts.
Then Adam tenatively starts dating a breast cancer survivor called Phoebe (Gwyneth Paltrow) - and there's genuine spark of chemistry between the two actors. Thanks For Sharing hits all of the emotional notes but in the end is strangely underwhelming. Robbins and Ruffalo are solid in underwritten roles.
Arguably, Blumberg's film doesn't make enough sacrifices and plays safe, hinting at the dark nooks and crannies of the human psyche that could be probed in a braver, more compelling film.
Damon Smith Verdict ... Stars let it all hang out Director Stuart Blumberg Starring Mark Ruffalo Certificate 15 Contains Strong sex, sex references and strong language Duration 112 minutes Spark: Ruffalo and Paltrow
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Hollywood Bets Big Again on Summer Movies
- Bernanke Wishes He'd Explained the Crisis Better
- China Slows Down: The Cohen Column
- Nestle, Superior Grocers Promote Healthy Meals
- EPA Eases Back on Biofuels Mandate
- Biden Leaves Ukraine as Russian Invasion Threat Rises
- Stocks See 6th Gain in a Row on Solid Earnings
- Ellen DeGeneres Producing HGTV Series
- IRS Awards Bonuses to Employees Who Owe Back Taxes