THANKS For Sharing is a sensitively handled drama comedy that address the thorny subject of sex addiction through the eyes of three men.
There's a lot of frank discourse in the script, co-written by Matt Winston.
While the online fantasises are undeniably X-rated, Blumberg's film aims for something less lurid, balancing brash comedy with tearful confessions.
He is aided by a strong ensemble cast including Alecia Moore, aka pop star Pink, who could easily swap the recording studio for the film set on this evidence.
Adam (Mark Ruffalo) has been sober for five years and celebrates in the company of his sponsor Mike (Tim Robbins) and other addicts.
Then Adam tenatively starts dating a breast cancer survivor called Phoebe (Gwyneth Paltrow) - and there's genuine spark of chemistry between the two actors. Thanks For Sharing hits all of the emotional notes but in the end is strangely underwhelming. Robbins and Ruffalo are solid in underwritten roles.
Arguably, Blumberg's film doesn't make enough sacrifices and plays safe, hinting at the dark nooks and crannies of the human psyche that could be probed in a braver, more compelling film.
Damon Smith Verdict ... Stars let it all hang out Director Stuart Blumberg Starring Mark Ruffalo Certificate 15 Contains Strong sex, sex references and strong language Duration 112 minutes Spark: Ruffalo and Paltrow
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia