THANKS For Sharing is a sensitively handled drama comedy that address the thorny subject of sex addiction through the eyes of three men.
There's a lot of frank discourse in the script, co-written by Matt Winston.
While the online fantasises are undeniably X-rated, Blumberg's film aims for something less lurid, balancing brash comedy with tearful confessions.
He is aided by a strong ensemble cast including Alecia Moore, aka pop star Pink, who could easily swap the recording studio for the film set on this evidence.
Adam (Mark Ruffalo) has been sober for five years and celebrates in the company of his sponsor Mike (Tim Robbins) and other addicts.
Then Adam tenatively starts dating a breast cancer survivor called Phoebe (Gwyneth Paltrow) - and there's genuine spark of chemistry between the two actors. Thanks For Sharing hits all of the emotional notes but in the end is strangely underwhelming. Robbins and Ruffalo are solid in underwritten roles.
Arguably, Blumberg's film doesn't make enough sacrifices and plays safe, hinting at the dark nooks and crannies of the human psyche that could be probed in a braver, more compelling film.
Damon Smith Verdict ... Stars let it all hang out Director Stuart Blumberg Starring Mark Ruffalo Certificate 15 Contains Strong sex, sex references and strong language Duration 112 minutes Spark: Ruffalo and Paltrow
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Report: Next Iran Nuclear Talks Set for New York
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text