House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi says no progress has been made toward ending the government shutdown because "it's very hard to negotiate with the Republicans when they can't negotiate with themselves."
Pelosi says, quote, "They can't say, 'Our first premise is you have to overturn the Affordable Care Act.'"
She said Democrats agreed weeks ago to the GOP money figure for stopgap spending, but said Republicans have stalled since then.
Pelosi says to get the government up and fully running again, "it will take some coming together on the Republican side."
The California Democrat said the expiration of the government's borrowing authority is a frightening prospect, saying that "we have to find a path" but have not found the ability to do so.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Why BofA Won't Pay $17 Billion After All
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Obama Weighs Move on Legal Immigration
- Eric Holder Arrives in Ferguson