House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi says no progress has been made toward ending the government shutdown because "it's very hard to negotiate with the Republicans when they can't negotiate with themselves."
Pelosi says, quote, "They can't say, 'Our first premise is you have to overturn the Affordable Care Act.'"
She said Democrats agreed weeks ago to the GOP money figure for stopgap spending, but said Republicans have stalled since then.
Pelosi says to get the government up and fully running again, "it will take some coming together on the Republican side."
The California Democrat said the expiration of the government's borrowing authority is a frightening prospect, saying that "we have to find a path" but have not found the ability to do so.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Phil Pustejovsky's Relief Real Estate Offers Seminars in Daytona Beach
- Rubio Offers Endorsements, Cash to 2014 GOP Candidates
- Sonoma Growers Win Emerald Cup Cannabis Competition
- GM Plant Tackles Tough Waste Challenge
- Legal Dope in Uruguay Breaks International Law, Says Buzzkill U.N.
- Cantor Fitzgerald Settles Suit
- Researchers Question Effectiveness of Vitamins
- Pope Removes U.S. Archbishop from Powerful Post
- 'New Rich' May Be Barrier to Bridging Income Gap