House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi says no progress has been made toward ending the government shutdown because "it's very hard to negotiate with the Republicans when they can't negotiate with themselves."
Pelosi says, quote, "They can't say, 'Our first premise is you have to overturn the Affordable Care Act.'"
She said Democrats agreed weeks ago to the GOP money figure for stopgap spending, but said Republicans have stalled since then.
Pelosi says to get the government up and fully running again, "it will take some coming together on the Republican side."
The California Democrat said the expiration of the government's borrowing authority is a frightening prospect, saying that "we have to find a path" but have not found the ability to do so.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays