Crazy for Gershwin
"Summertime," "I Got Rhythm" and "S'Wonderful" are among the George Gershwin tunes featured as part of Light Opera Works' "Gershwin's Greatest Hits," a concert performance of classic tunes. The cast includes Sophie Grimm, Sara Lynn Kelly and Martin L. Woods in their LOW debuts alongside veterans David Schlumpf and Colette Todd.
Opens at 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 4, at Nichols Concert Hall, 1490 Chicago Ave., Evanston. $30-$60. (847) 920-5360 or .
Bram Stoker's novel inspired Theatre-Hikes' seasonal offering "The Passion of Dracula." Written by Bob Hall and David Richmond, the play unfolds in the early 20th-century English countryside where several village girls have gone missing and where an English lord, a doctor and a reporter battle the Count for the soul of a young woman.
Performances, which involve walking, take place at 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 5-6, at the Morton Arboretum, 4100 Ill. Route 53, Lisle. $8-$19. (630) 725-2066, or .
Next Theatre Company opens its 2013-14 season with the Chicago- area premiere of "Compulsion," Rinne Groff's drama about the slender "line between idealism and fanaticism" inspired by Meyer Levin's efforts to honor the legacy of Anne Frank. Devon de May ("Everything is Illuminated") directs Mick Weber, artistic director Jennifer Avery and John Byrnes.
Previews begin at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St., Evanston. The show opens Oct. 15. $25-$40. (847) 475-1875, ext. 2, or .
-- Barbara Vitello
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits
- Elizabeth Warren Ends 2016 Presidential Rumors