Golden Rice creator wants to live to see it save lives
Why did you develop Golden Rice?
I'm concerned about food security. It's not just about calories, but also quality of food. In the early 1990s,
But environmental groups opposed the rice?
They were against it from the beginning.
That didn't kill off the project though?
No, but it dampened support. Then in 2005, a group at biotech firm
But again, we couldn't prove we had enough to meet children's needs, so the
Do they have a point? Could children be given vitamin A capsules, or foods that contain it?
As for foods that supply vitamin A, like liver, leafy greens and eggs, the people we target are too poor to buy them. Some garden projects provide them, but they are not enough. We still have 6000 children dying every day.
One project in
Sweet potatoes, like carrots, naturally contain beta-carotene, so you can breed them to improve the content. Rice doesn't, so it's impossible to introduce it without genetic engineering. But the experience with sweet potatoes shows that what we're trying for with rice is realistic. As soon as people get the potatoes, it improves their vitamin A status.
Last year, didn't you finally obtain results that show Golden Rice provides enough vitamin A?
It was a long experiment by a group at
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.