The news reporters obtained a quote from the research, "The materials were prepared by chemical reduction with NaBH4, and pyrolysis at 300 and 600 degrees C under a H-2/N-2 atmosphere. The XRD results indicated the formation of polycrystalline materials with particle sizes ranging from 9 to 19 nm. Analysis by HRTEM showed the formation of nanostructures with lattice fringes corresponding to Pt, Pd (i.e., the Pt-Pd cathode), or CeO2 (i.e., the Pt-CeO2 material). The electrochemical characterization in 0.1 mol L-1 KOH showed that the Pt-Pd is highly active for the ORR in alkaline medium, delivering higher onset potential and mass activity than Pt-alone. Meanwhile, the Pt-CeO2 material showed slightly lower ORR mass activity than Pt."
According to the news reporters, the research concluded: "However, in the presence of methanol, the Pt-CeO2 nanocatalyst demonstrated significantly higher selectivity and tolerance capability to the alcohol than Pt and Pt-Pd."
For more information on this research see: Preparation and characterization of Pt-CeO2 and Pt-Pd electrocatalysts for the oxygen reduction reaction in the absence and presence of methanol in alkaline medium.
Our news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief