Oct. 30--Many aspiring filmmakers have the vision, but limited opportunities, said local filmmaker P.J. Starks.
Starks' production company, Verite Cinema, and the Daviess County Public Library will give hopefuls a platform with "Unscripted 3: ScreenWriting Contest." Entries will be accepted Friday through Nov. 30. There is no entry fee.
The competition is part of Starks' "Unscripted Xperience" film series, which began at the library in January. The second series was during the summer.
The screenwriting contest "is another facet of the whole experience," Starks said. "It's a hands-on approach to filmmaking, it's continuing education, and it adds a personal touch for the audience to see the work of their neighbors."
The scripts must center on a library setting as the teams will film in the library after hours.
A panel of judges will choose two winners who will be placed on different production teams. Area directors Jakob Bilinski and Joe Atkinson, who have collaborated with Starks before, will lead the teams through "Unscripted 3: Film School," a crash-course on filmmaking, on Jan. 4.
"There's a lot of talent in our area, and we want to encourage that," Starks said. "Most filmmakers haven't had the opportunity to dive into their work and see it come to life."
When the films are complete, the judges will choose the final winner, whose film will premiere at the next "Unscripted" screening series in January. The other finalists' film will premiere online.
"This allows more interaction, which is what makes the series so successful," said Jim Blanton, director of the library. "It exceeded our expectations, and we certainly hope (the screenwriting contest) will go just as well. If it does, we'll keep building onto it."
Angela Oliver, 691-7360, email@example.com
All rules and guidelines will be posted at dcplibrary.org/unscripted on Friday. For more information, contact Starks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(c)2013 the Messenger-Inquirer (Owensboro, Ky.)
Visit the Messenger-Inquirer (Owensboro, Ky.) at www.messenger-inquirer.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Natural Gas Discovery Could Lead to Cleaner Fuels