Patent number 8566941 is assigned to
The following quote was obtained by the news editors from the background information supplied by the inventors: "The invention relates generally to the detection and remediation of software attacks. More specifically, and without limitation, the invention is related to a software based system that is transparent to a host device and which detects attacks directed to that device.
"Researchers have long been concerned about software based attacks to computer systems and devices. These attacks, in the form of what is called 'malware' can serve various purposes such as surreptitiously collecting information from an attacked device, monitoring or interrupting communication flows via the attacked device, hijacking device or system resources and even disabling the device and/or network. Examples of these types of security threats which can be network borne include traditional threats such a virus, a trojan, and a worm. Traditional detection and remediation techniques ultimately rely on the ability to determine the 'signature' of such malware and construct a remediation response that detects an attack by looking for that signature and then undertaking some responsive action. The techniques in which the system first has to determine a signature of a particular form of malware means that at least one, if not multiple, attacks were successful before the attack could be analyzed to determine the signature.
"In addition to the shortcomings of existing malware remediation techniques, the evolving complexity of these device and network security threats has created significant concerns. Specifically, network borne security threats are becoming more sophisticated and potentially more damaging. For example, some security researchers have begun to warn about the threat of malware referred to as rootkits. These malware attacks install themselves into the kernel of the operating system. In so doing they can bypass all of the current anti-virus, host and network intrusion detection sensors.
"For example, in relationship to one of the operating systems available from
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low