Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research from the School of Medicine, "Previously, we reported PEI-Bu, a small molecular weight PEI derivative, as an efficient non-viral carrier. However, like many PEI-based polymers, PEI-Bu was too toxic. In order to reduce cytotoxicity while maintain or even enhance transfecion efficiency, we modified PEI-Bu with poly(ethylene glycol) (PEG) to obtain PEG-Bu, and used it to delivery a theraputic short hairpin RNA (shRNA) targeting angiotensinogen (AGT) to normal rat liver cells (BRL-3A), which was a key target for the treatment of hypertension. The structure of PEG-Bu was confirmed by proton nuclear magnetic resonance ((1)H-NMR). Gel permeation chromatography (GPC) showed that the weight average molecular weight (Mw) of PEG-Bu was 5880 Da, with a polydispersity of 1.58. PEG-Bu could condense gene cargo into spherical and uniform nanoparticles with particle size (65-88 nm) and zeta potential (7.3-9.6 mV). Interestingly and importantly, PEG-Bu displayed lower cytotoxicity and enhanced tranfection efficiency than PEI-Bu after PEGylation in both normal cells BRL-3A and tumor cells HeLa. Moreover, PEG-Bu could efficiently delivery AGT shRNA to knockdown the AGT expression."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "To sum up, PEG-Bu would be a promising non-viral vector for delivering AGT shRNA to BRL-3A cells for hypertension therapy."
For more information on this research see: Delivery of therapeutic AGT shRNA by PEG-Bu for hypertension therapy. Plos One, 2013;8(7):e68651. (
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low