"Nuclear Weapons Modernization Programs: Military, Technical, and Political Requirements for the B61 Life Extension Program and Future Stockpile Strategy."
Chairman Rogers, Ranking Member Cooper, and distinguished members of the Strategic Forces Subcommittee, thank you for the opportunity to testify today on "Nuclear Weapons Modernization Programs: Military, Technical and Political Requirements for the B61 Life Extension Program and Future Stockpile Strategy." I am
Sandia is a multiprogram national security laboratory owned by the
While nuclear weapons represent Sandia's core mission, the science, technology, engineering, and business professional capabilities required to support this mission position us to support other aspects of national security as well. Indeed, there is natural, increasingly significant synergy between our core mission and our broader national security work, including research and development in synergistic defense products, cyberspace, nuclear assessments and warning, and global nuclear dangers. Examples of areas where Sandia has applied its expertise with a direct nexus between nuclear weapons (NW) work and non-NW benefits for the nation include the development of tools for the warfighter to use in order to safely disable improvised explosive devices. This achievement was made possible by the deep expertise in explosives required for our NW mission, global monitoring systems for nuclear material detection, and our contributions to cyber defense, which are enabled by our long-standing work in the command and control of nuclear weapons.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- N.M. Dems Say Nonprofit Helping Martinez Campaign