Chinese computer maker
The device, which has 18 hours on a single battery charge and goes on sale Wednesday, has three modes: hold, tilt and stand. A cylindrical hinge on one side can either be held, or opened to produce a stand, similar to the kick-stand on
"Watching and discovering that people frequently use tablets in three main ways allowed us to break the mold on the current 'sea of sameness' designs," said
Teaser videos ahead of the event had included some suggesting that it could somehow be attached to furniture or household appliances. But the product appeared less radical.
"For this me is a risk," Kutcher said in a livestreamed event from
"They understand that they have to take risks and lead," added the "Two and a Half Men" actor, who is known as a tech investor, and who donned a "
The device comes in 8 and 10 inch models, priced at
It enters a hugely crowded tablet market still dominated by Apples iPad, but with rivals including notably
The design looks like a wireless Apple keyboard, and observers noted that the extra space in the hinge/handle allows
The devices run on Google's Android operating system, and have relatively low-resolution 1280 x 800 screens.
Tech website the Verge said the 8 inch version seems targeted directly at
Tech review site
They "do feel well-balanced and light when held this way -- especially true with the lighter 8-incher -- and the cylinder gives your hands something smooth and easy to grip."
"Overall the tablets feel pretty well-built," it added.
A slimmer version of its top-selling full-size tablet computer, dubbed the "iPad Air," was announced last week along with a revamped iPad Mini with an improved high-definition display.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List