Parents worried about letting their children go trick-or-treating at
With the free iPhone app Track n Treat, children send a time-limited link of their location via a phone number or email. This then allows parents to track their whereabouts via a web browser for the next four hours.
"Kids are out and about and their parents want to know where they are, so
Another free app, Family GPS Tracker for iPhone and Android, not only lets parents see where their children are in real-time, but also sends alerts when a child strays outside of an set area.
"With the app you can always be aware of where your children are located, and can call them immediately if they venture outside of the safe zone," said
Life360, another free app for iPhone and Android, lets family members view each others' location on a map and keep in touch via group messaging.
"A twelve-year-old might be too young to go out completely on their own, but an app can give them more freedom," said
The app allows users to set up zones and notifications showing, for example, when a child arrives at school, or when a spouse leaves work or gets home.
"We're trying to build a family graph," Hulls said. "You have
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines