Hawaiian Telcom completed its acquisition Monday of a Honolulu-based data center services provider in a move that will allow the state's largest telephone company to broaden its product offerings while diversifying its revenue base.
Hawaiian Telcom paid
The deal, which was announced
Hawaiian Telcom for the past two years had been considering different options to expand and enhance its data services for customers, most of which had been previously provided by a third-party vendor. Hawaiian Telcom ultimately decided on SystemMetrics, which has an existing customer base of 400 businesses, said
There is strong potential for such virtual data services in the
Hawaiian Telcom will be marketing the new service to both existing customers and companies who currently are served by other providers, Krueger said.
"This allows enterprise-level businesses to go from a physical server to a virtualized service," Krueger said. "We're seeing a lot of success in that area because it's expensive for companies to run their own servers, power them and build data centers of their own. There are a lot of efficiencies that come with virtualizing servers."
The new services dovetail with Hawaiian Telcom's effort to increase the capacity of its fiber-optic network, which provides its customers with more bandwidth for a host of Hawaiian Telcom products and services, Krueger said.
"Just having that data network core allows customers to have a remote, diverse data center facility and have communications between those locations," he said.
From a standpoint of the company's finances, the acquisition will provide a new revenue stream at a time when Hawaiian?Telcom's legacy land-line business is shrinking. SystemMetrics generates revenue of about
"We have a number of business products that are significant contributors (to revenue), and this will be one of them," Krueger said.
Hawaiian Telcom's shares closed up
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM