WURLITZA'S genre-mixing performances, in which a silent black and white film is accompanied live on stage by a five-piece band, is heading to The Tolmen Centre. This year they return with Sunrise, FW Murnau's 1927 expressionist masterpiece, which came fifth in a critics' poll of the best films of all time.
Made in Hollywood by the Fox studio, it had an unlimited budget that can be seen on the screen. Winner of three Oscars, including Best Actress for Janet Gaynor, it's a visually stunning exploration of love that is as relevant today as ever - from the director of horror classic Nosferatu.
Wurlitza accompany the show with live music - instrumental and vocal - from Bach and Villa Lobas to Talking Heads, Echo and the Bunnymen, Madness and The Vapors, as well as their own compositions. The show is a unique and memorable experience, and great for all ages.
As the performance unfolds, it's almost hard to believe that every sound you hear is being performed on stage - there is no recorded soundtrack whatsoever - all perfectly fitting the screen action.
Sunrise can be seen at The Tolmen Centre in Constantine on Saturday, at 7.30pm.
Tickets are Pounds 9 available from the box office on 01326 341353. Alternatively, e-mail email@example.com. For more information, visit www.wurlitza.co.uk or www.tolmencentre.co.uk Cafe Tolmen is open from 6pm for pre-show suppers though booking is essential.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise