MOTOROLA Mobility, the Googleowned subsidiary, yesterday announced a partnership with Phonebloks to develop the company's concept of a modular mobile phone into a reality.
Under the codename Project Ara Motorola has been working for more than a year on mobile devices that can be upgraded, rather than replaced, when a new battery, camera or processor becomes available.
Phonebloks is an online community which started in September to promote the idea of a modular mobile phone, looking to partner with manufacturers to bring the concept to market.
Motorola is understood to be partnering with Phonebloks in order to tap into the groundswell of interest that the firm has generated from developers and designers wanting to help out on the project.
Motorola said it will announce further details in the next months.
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Entrepreneurs' Next Creation May Be New Laws
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts