The South Korean firm says it will waive the £60 000 (R954 000) fee for the person who convinces them in a short essay that their dog is loved so much that it should be able to "go walkies forever".
The pet can be of any breed or age.
But animal welfare groups and leading geneticists have condemned the contest, saying cloning takes a high toll on animal welfare.
Professor Robin Lovell-Badge, an expert in genetics at the
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Obamacare Doing Just Fine, Ky. Governor Says
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Eagle Deaths OK'd for Wind Power
- Consistent Hiring Points to Stronger Economy Ahead
- How Monthly Jobs Reports Move the Markets' Needle