The FLC's Far West/Mid-Continent regions gave Outstanding and
* SpinDx medical diagnostic tool;
* Sandia Cooler, which reduces energy to cool computer processor chips; and
* Self-Assembled Multifunctional Optical Coatings (SAMOC).
* Sandia and the
* SPAWAR Systems Center Pacific (SSC Pacific),
"It's quite an honor to receive recognition for our technology development and technology transfer work," said
SpinDx: Time is money
SpinDx is a lab-on-a-disk, medical diagnostic tool that can determine a patient's white blood cell count, analyze important protein markers and process up to 64 assays from a single sample, all in a matter of minutes.
"In a doctor's office, time is money," said
SpinDx has both medical and non-medical applications, ranging from detection of markers of infectious diseases to food and water safety testing. The first license for SpinDx technology was signed in
Sandia Cooler: Cutting power consumption
The Sandia Cooler reduces the energy needed to cool processor chips in data centers and large-scale computing environments, said Sandia researcher
The Sandia Cooler takes heat from a conventional CPU cooler and efficiently transfers it across a narrow air gap from a stationary base to a rotating finned structure. Among other benefits, the Sandia Cooler architecture eliminates all the main drawbacks of conventional air-cooled heat exchanger technology. The technology also is very practical from the standpoint of cost, complexity and durability.
The cooler offers benefits in other applications where thermal management and energy efficiency are important, particularly heating, ventilation and air-conditioning. It won an R&D 100 Award in 2012. One license has been issued and about a dozen companies are interested in the technology. Prototypes are being developed for the interested parties.
Most Popular Stories
- Updates on Everglades' Stranded Pilot Whales
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- Wind Power and Wildlife Can Coexist
- Ford Mustang Still Packs Power
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits
- Elizabeth Warren Ends 2016 Presidential Rumors