A Buncombe County, N.C., Republican Party official has resigned over a remark on "The Daily Show" about "lazy black people" but said he stands by his comments.
Don Yelton resigned as precinct chairman Thursday following a request by Buncombe County Republican Party Chairman Henry Mitchell, who said Yelton's remarks -- aired Wednesday on the Comedy Central TV show -- were "offensive, uniformed and unacceptable of any member within the Republican Party," WRAL.com reported.
Yelton, 66, spoke on the TV show about North Carolina's new voter ID law, saying it "is going to kick the Democrats in the butt."
He said if it hurts people who are "too stupid" to get required ID, "so be it."
"If it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that wants the government to give them everything, so be it," Yelton said.
"Let me make it very clear," Mitchell said in a news release. "Mr. Yelton's comments do not reflect the belief or feelings of Buncombe Republicans, nor do they mirror any core principle that our party is founded upon. This mentality will not be supported or propagated within our party."
Mitchell said Yelton, a part-time environmental sciences teacher, had been reprimanded and removed from his position in 2012 before being re-elected in 2013.
Yelton told the Asheville (N.C.) Citizen-Times the "Daily Show" interview lasted 2 hours but the comments used in the segment that aired were obviously "cut and pasted."
"There's nothing I said that I would take back. So be it," he said.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: N.C. GOP official resigns after 'lazy black people' comment
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Eid al-Fitr Celebrations Mark End of Ramadan
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Israeli Criticism of Kerry Annoys White House
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Hobby Lobby Ruling Exempts Satanic Temple From Hobby Lobby Ruling
- Oppression of Women Cripples Africa: Obama
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs