A Buncombe County, N.C., Republican Party official has resigned over a remark on "The Daily Show" about "lazy black people" but said he stands by his comments.
Don Yelton resigned as precinct chairman Thursday following a request by Buncombe County Republican Party Chairman Henry Mitchell, who said Yelton's remarks -- aired Wednesday on the Comedy Central TV show -- were "offensive, uniformed and unacceptable of any member within the Republican Party," WRAL.com reported.
Yelton, 66, spoke on the TV show about North Carolina's new voter ID law, saying it "is going to kick the Democrats in the butt."
He said if it hurts people who are "too stupid" to get required ID, "so be it."
"If it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that wants the government to give them everything, so be it," Yelton said.
"Let me make it very clear," Mitchell said in a news release. "Mr. Yelton's comments do not reflect the belief or feelings of Buncombe Republicans, nor do they mirror any core principle that our party is founded upon. This mentality will not be supported or propagated within our party."
Mitchell said Yelton, a part-time environmental sciences teacher, had been reprimanded and removed from his position in 2012 before being re-elected in 2013.
Yelton told the Asheville (N.C.) Citizen-Times the "Daily Show" interview lasted 2 hours but the comments used in the segment that aired were obviously "cut and pasted."
"There's nothing I said that I would take back. So be it," he said.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI). Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Original headline: N.C. GOP official resigns after 'lazy black people' comment
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids