A proposed new
In addition to product development, the proposed standard will be valuable as a research tool, according to
"Such collagen formulations have the capability in basic research where they can be applied as tunable three-dimensional (3D) substrates to support the culture of cells and tissues in vitro," says Voytik-Harbin. "New collagen polymer formulations, together with advancements in the characterization and standardization of their molecular and physical properties and cell-instructive capacity, will fuel development of new generation research tools (3D in-vitro tissue models), drug/molecular delivery systems and regenerative medicine solutions."
ASTM WK43011 will address issues related to production, characterization and functional testing of polymerizable collagens for research and clinical applications, as well as product development and quality control. Collagens exhibiting polymerization or self-assembly are currently further categorized as tissue-derived (atelocollagen, gelatin, monomer and oligomer), recombinant (collagen proteins and peptides) and chemically synthesized (collagen mimetic peptides).
Once it has been approved, the proposed standard will be used primarily by laboratories and commercial entities that manufacture and use collagen for development of research and medical products. Regulatory bodies may also consider ASTM WK43011 for comparing the composition, functional properties and safety of collagen-based products.
For more news in this sector, visit www.astm.org/sn-medical or follow us on Twitter @ASTMMedical.
ASTM Committee F04 Next Meeting:
TNS 24HariCha-131025-30FurigayJane-4527694 30FurigayJane
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief