Oct. 24--How to whet the whistle for Halloween: Depictions of hell set to music by local post-rock instrumentalists.
Zinema 2's Silent Film, Loud Score series pairs the movie "L'Inferno" with Portrait of a Drowned Man for two shows this weekend.
"L'Inferno" is an Italian film by Giuseppe de Liquoro from 1911 based on Dante's depictions of hell. In it, the hero travels with another poet through the circles of hell. Along the way to a happier place, he encounters the sinners who have been sentenced for eternity.
Portrait of a Drowned Man is a band of three guitar players and one drummer that makes music without words. They're no strangers to the score scene: POADM made the music for "Inside the Whale," a short film that played at the Free Range Film Festival this past summer. They're doing music for the locally made, yet-unseen documentary "Wicker Kittens."
The German electronica group Tangerine Dream created a soundtrack for "L'Inferno" for an edition of the DVD that was released in the mid-2000s.
Go see it
What: "L'Inferno" screening with score by Portrait of a Drowned Man
When: 9:30 p.m. Friday; 7:30 p.m. Saturday
Where: Zinema 2, 222 E. Superior St.
(c)2013 the Duluth News Tribune (Duluth, Minn.)
Visit the Duluth News Tribune (Duluth, Minn.) at www.duluthnewstribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Is Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 in Andaman Sea?
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign