IT'S that time of the year again .... and I don't mean Halloween or Guy Fawkes Night -- it is the time when the National Theatre announces which play each participating company in Connections will perform in 2014.
Each year the National Theatre invites 10 writers to create new plays for young people to perfor m. Youth theatre companies across the country can then read all the plays and submit their first and second choices.
This year Llanelli Youth Theatre was lucky enough to be allocated our first choice, which was Heritage by Dafydd James.
Dafydd James is an award-winning writer, composer and performer, working in both English and Welsh. His work includes The Village Social (National Theatre Wales); Llwyth (Theatr Genedlaethol/ Sherman Cymru; Wales Theatre Critics Award) and My Name is Sue (Dafydd James & Company; Total Theatre Award).
He also writes for Gwaith/Cartref, winner of a Celtic Media award for best drama Series.
The next step is for all the directors of the participating companies to descend on the National Theatre in London for a weekend of workshops, including working with the playwright of your chosen play. It is only after this that you can start working on your production.
We will be performing the premiere of Heritage in Stiwdio Stepni at Ffwrnes early next year. We will also perform at one of 26 Connections festivals in professional theatres across the country, and 10 companies will then go on to perform at the National Theatre.
For the past four years our regional theatre has been the Wales Millennium Centre but this year we are heading back to the Sherman Theatre in Cardiff, which was the first regional theatre we performed in back in 1995, with our production of Faith, Hope and Charity. C onnections celebrates great new writing for the stage -- and the energy, commitment and talent of young theatre-makers.
Llanelli Youth Theatre is really looking forward to performing a Connections play by a fellow Welshman and relishes the rehearsal process ahead.
See you at the performance!
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go