ENP Newswire - 23 October 2013
Release date- 22102013 - Today, TDS Telecommunications Corp. (TDS) announces completion of one stimulus-funded project in Indiana and partial completion of another.
The projects, funded in part by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), make high-speed Internet service accessible to more Indiana households and businesses.
The completed project, around Geneva, Ind., makes high-speed Internet service accessible to about 200 households. TDS installed three new cabinets (which protect the advanced network electronics) throughout its Home Telephone Company exchange. TDS projected the cost at about $550,000. The RUS grant covered 75 percent of the cost and TDS invested the remaining 25 percent (about $140,000) to expand broadband further out.
Partial completion of the project around Tipton, Ind. provides some area households access to high-speed Internet service. The project, which is expected to wrap up by the end of the year, will provide about 400 area households with access to a high-speed Internet connection. Nearly seven miles of fiber optics and six new cabinets are being installed in this TDS exchange known as Tipton Telephone Company, Inc.
Earlier this month, TDS also announced completion of its ARRA stimulus-funded projects around Camden, Ind. Since July, TDS has completed seven broadband expansion projects. In addition to Indiana, more households and businesses in New Hampshire, New York, Georgia, Wisconsin and Missouri have access to a high-speed Internet connection. Customers interested in signing up for services should call 888-CALL-TDS (888-225-5837).
These projects are among 44 that TDS is receiving funding for from the United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Rural Utilities Service (RUS) as part of the ARRA.
Nationwide, more than 95 percent of TDS customers already have access to high-speed Internet service. TDS is intent on providing as many remaining customers with broadband connectivity as possible. According to TDS, federal stimulus funds are helping to close the gap and deliver Internet connectivity to more than 20,000 customers.
For background information and updates, visit www.tdstelecom.com/stimulus.
TDS Telecommunications Corp. (TDS) is the seventh largest local exchange telephone company in the U.S. Headquartered in Madison, Wis. it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. For 44 years, the company has been connecting people with high-speed Internet, phone, and TV entertainment services in over a hundred rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities. Today, TDS has nearly 1 million customer connections in service and 2,500 employees. Business customers select from the latest technologies, including: VoIP (managedIP Hosted) phone service, dedicated high-speed Internet and hosted-managed services. Visit tdstelecom.com or tdsbusiness.com for more information.
TDS Telecommunications Corp. also manages the operations of TDS Hosted & Managed Services, LLC (TDS HMS) which consists of OneNeck IT Services Corp., Vital Support Systems, and VISI Inc. The business unit is growing rapidly; now employing more than 500 people throughout the U.S. TDS HMS companies specialize in engineering and management of IT infrastructure, including: hosted application management, managed hosting, and ReliaCloud enterprise cloud services. TDS HMS owns and operates Tier 3 data centers in Iowa, Minn., and Wis. Visit oneneck.com, vitalsite.com, visi.com, and reliacloud.com for more information.
Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. [NYSE: TDS], a Fortune 500 company, provides wireless; broadband, TV and voice; and hosted and managed services to approximately 6 million customers nationwide through its business units, TDS Telecommunications Corp., U.S. Cellular, and TDS Hosted & Managed Services. Founded in 1969 and headquartered in Chicago, TDS employs 10,700 people. For investment information, visit teldta.com.
For more information, or a high-resolution map, contact: Cindy Tomlinson, Associate Manager-Public Relations / TDS Telecommunications Corp. / 608-664-4471 / firstname.lastname@example.org
[Editorial queries for this story should be sent to email@example.com]
((Comments on this story may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org))