IP network to expand coverage footprint and enable SSE Telecoms to provide secure networks and resilient new services for essential communication applications and data centre operations.
Paris/London -- -- SSE Telecoms, a communications specialist and owner of one of the United Kingdom's largest telecommunications and data centre networks, has selected IP networking technology fromAlcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) to extend network coverage across the country as part of its 'Project Edge' program.
Alcatel-Lucent will provide enhanced Ethernet and bandwidth capabilities to meet the scaling, resilience and security demands of SSE Telecoms' customers, whilst enabling faster service delivery and reduced costs. This will almost double network coverage across the UK during the first phase of Project Edge, an SSE Telecoms initiative designed to achieve greater network coverage and service differentiation while lowering costs through network redesign and rationalisation.
The network will support the deployment of new mission-critical,high-bandwidth IP/MPLS (Internet Protocol/Multiprotocol Layer Switching) services that enable enhanced security features, which allows the support of legacy Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) services across the enhanced network.
Alcatel-Lucent's IP Service Routers will also pave the way for high-speed, lower cost data centre connectivity for the delivery of dynamic cloud services to meet the specific needs of SSE Telecoms' customers. The project is expectedto be complete by December 2013.
- With the deployment of 54 new nodes during the first phase of Project Edge, SSE Telecoms will almost double its UK network coverage, while lowering costs and speeding delivery of innovative new services to meet increased data demandfrom customers.
- A robust network backbone using Alcatel-Lucent's 7750 ServiceRouter (SR) portfolio will enable the delivery of Ethernet and high bandwidth services with enhanced security and cloud data centre connectivity.
- Alcatel-Lucent's 5620 Service Aware Manager (SAM) will allow SSE Telecoms to provide a better experience for customers in terms of service delivery.
- The Alcatel-Lucent solution includes an option for 10Gb optical cards for the management of wavelength and dark fibre connectivity.
- As part of the project, Alcatel-Lucent will provide its leading professional services capabilities, managing delivery, storage, installation and first level commissioning. Alcatel-Lucent will also provide annual maintenance and software support for all existing and new nodes in the network.
Chris Jagusz, Managing Director, SSE Telecoms said: "We were first to market in the UK with national Ethernet services more than 10 years ago, and since then we have continued to innovate our customer offering. We wanted to expand our network presence with a solution that gave us the flexibility to meet all of our customers' diverse needs, while also delivering the bandwidth, speed and quality that they expect -- and with Alcatel-Lucent's portfolio we can do just that".