Our news editors obtained a quote from the research, "Internalization mechanism of GNPs is likely receptor-mediated endocytosis, influenced by GNP size, shape, its coating and surface charging. Many showed that DNA damage can occur as a consequence of metal-enhanced production of low energy electrons, Auger electrons and alike. Kilovoltage radiotherapy (RT) carries significantly higher dose enhancement factor (DEF) that is observed with megavoltage irradiations, the latter usually been at the order of 1.1-1.2. Higher gold concentrations seem to carry higher risk of toxicity, while with lower concentrations the DEF can be reduced. Adding a chemotherapeutic agent could increase level of enhancement."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Clinical trials are eagerly awaited with a promise of gaining more knowledge deemed necessary for more successful transition to widespread clinical practice."
For more information on this research see: Radiosensitization by gold nanoparticles. Clinical & Translational Oncology, 2013;15(8):593-601 (see also Nanoparticles).
The news editors report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Entrepreneurs' Next Creation May Be New Laws
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts