WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is preparing for an intense stretch of fundraising for Democrats, planning at least nine fundraisers outside of Washington before the end of the year.
The events will take Obama to more than a half-dozen states, from Florida to California. Obama's appearances will benefit the national Democratic Party as well as committees that raise money for Democratic House and Senate candidates.
First lady Michelle Obama is also pitching in.
Obama and Vice President Joe Biden held off on political events during the government shutdown. But with the crisis averted, top Democrats are looking ahead to the 2014 midterm elections and want to make sure Democrats have the resources they'll need.
Obama has promised to headline at least 20 fundraisers for Democratic committees ahead of next year's elections.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: Obama Launches Major Fundraising Push for Dems
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- Netflix Unveils New Way to Share Picks
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- Construction Spending Staged Strong Rebound in July
- Celebrities Vow Revenge on Hackers Who Posted Photos
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- Manufacturing in U.S. at Fastest Pace in 3-1/2 Years