NREL Brings Precision, Savings to Energy Audits
An energy audit tool that more accurately pinpoints potential energy savings while potentially costing 35% to 75% less than traditional audits is set to hit the multi-billion-dollar energy retrofit industry next year.
The simuwatt Energy Auditor software package was developed by the
The commercial buildings sector in America alone represents 7% of total energy consumption worldwide. Commercial buildings in
At the individual building scale, a 200,000-square-foot office building that pays
Tool Makes Work Easier for Energy Service Companies
For many building owners, conducting energy audits is about as fun as a trip to the dentist. That's why they usually leave it to the professionals - the energy service companies, or ESCOs, that absorb the costs of the audit in order to spotlight possible energy and cost savings. Then, the ESCOs make improvements at low cost, in exchange for a share of the money saved on monthly utility bills.
It's a model that works primarily for large buildings today. Traditional audits can be cost prohibitive for small buildings, and with margins thin, ESCOs have little incentive today to absorb those costs due to lower total savings potential. simuwatt Energy Auditor offers to change this equation. It will allow
When the audit is finished, it is stored electronically and serves as the baseline for the next audit, which is typically done a few years later. "The subsequent audit becomes verification, not a new discovery," said NREL Senior Engineer
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Donors Abandon GOP Over Gun Stance
- Mexico: 'Extremely Dangerous' Radioactive Material Stolen
- CEOs More Optimistic About Economy, Hiring
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs
- Newtown 911 Tapes Being Released Today
- Wisconsin Gov. Campaign Aide Fired Over Tweets