Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "Data on 12 cheeses, six Cheddar cheeses and six Gouda cheeses, were analyzed by multivariate analysis. Prediction models for two sensory attributes relating to maturation, 'Rich flavor' and 'Sour flavor', were constructed with 4199 data points from GC/FID, and excellent predictability was validated. Chromatograms from GC/FID and gas chromatography/time-of-flight-mass spectrometry (GC/TOF-MS) were comparable when the same column was used. Although GC/FID alone cannot identify peaks, the mutually complementary relationship between GC/FID and GC/MS does allow peak identification. Compounds contributing significantly to the sensory predictive models included lactose, succinic acid, L-lactic acid, and aspartic acid for 'Rich flavor', and lactose, L-lactic acid, and succinic acid for 'Sour flavor'."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Since similar model precision was obtained using GC/FID and GC/TOF-MS, metabolic fingerprinting using GC/FID, which is a relatively inexpensive instrument compared with GC/MS, is easy to maintain and operate, and is a valid alternative when metabolomics (especially using GC/MS) is to be used in a practical setting as a novel quality evaluation tool for manufacturing processes or final products."
For more information on this research see: Metabolic fingerprinting of hard and semi-hard natural cheeses using gas chromatography with flame ionization detector for practical sensory prediction modeling.
The news correspondents report that additional information may be obtained from
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise