After returning to the city, Maddur wanted to grow vegetables in his backyard like he did in the US. However, as he moved into an apartment and did not have the required space, he thought of renting out agricultural lands from farmers.
"I was not happy with the quality of vegetables available in the market. I wanted to grow organic vegetables. With no farmer agreeing to let me grow vegetables on his land, I decided to buy a few acres of land for this purpose,'' he says.
He bought three acres of land at Kodathi village off
"Initially, I tried to convince some of my friends to avail of this facility at my farm. While some of them agreed to grow vegetables, the others did not. Later, this concept gained momentum. So far 50 people have availed of this facility,'' Maddur says.
According to him, using locally grown produce is gaining popularity across the world as people are increasingly getting aware of the benefits of consuming fresher and palatable food, which is packed with nutrients.
In an urban environment like
Take the case of Namratha, an entrepreneur who hails from
'It's like meditation'
"It is like meditation. I get immense satisfaction and it is a de-stresser,'' says Namratha.
In addition to providing fresh produce, these mini farms also give families a way to connect with the nature and enjoy the pleasure of simplistic living. Many of the 'urban farmers' also bring their children to the farm.
"Kids will learn where the food comes from on the table and the complete plant life cycle. I have seen many children spending time playing and helping their parents,'' Maddur remarks.
Credit:Y Maheswara Reddy
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Target Overwhelmed by Worried Customers
- Congress Ends Turbulent Year with Approving IRS Chief
- First Family Arrives for Hawaiian Island Holiday
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Kanye, Kardashians and Other Kooks: A Wacky, Tacky, Entertaining Year
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.