News Column

George Clooney's 'Monuments Men' pushed to 2014

October 23, 2013

YellowBrix

NEW YORK -- George Clooney's World War II drama "The Monuments Men" is being pushed to 2014 and out of this year's awards season.

The movie will now be released in the first quarter of next year, instead of its planned release date of Dec. 18, a spokesman for Sony Pictures said Wednesday. "Monuments Men," which Clooney directed, co-wrote and stars in, had been expected to be among the top Oscar contenders.

The film could still compete for awards next year, but the early-in-the-year positioning suggests Sony doesn't expect it to. Movies released early in the year _ much less sought-after territory than the lucrative holiday movie-going season _ rarely draw any awards interest.

Sony said the film is being delayed so Clooney can finish the film's extensive visual effects.

"The Monuments Men," which also stars Matt Damon and Bill Murray, is about a World War II platoon whose mission is to rescue artworks from the Nazis. Based on a true story, the film is adapted from Robert Edsel's book "The Monuments Men: Allie Heroes, Nazi Thieves and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History."

Clooney has conceived of "The Monuments Men," reportedly made for $65 million, as a popular period drama tinged with comedy in the mold of "The Great Escape."

While an early 2014 release takes the film out of the awards hunt, it could find more room at a less crowded box office.

"The Monuments Men" is the latest film to shift out of this year's movie-going season. Previously pushed into 2014 were "Foxcatcher," `'Grace of Monaco" and "The Immigrant."

The Los Angeles Times first reported the release date change.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.


For more stories covering arts and entertainment, please see HispanicBusiness' Arts & Entertainment Channel

Story Tools






HispanicBusiness.com Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters