Transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) is the most common type of bladder cancer diagnosed, accounting for 90% of all bladder malignancies in
To have a deeper understanding of the genetic basis underlying TCC, Chinese scientists conducted exome sequencing on the tumor and matched peripheral blood samples from 99 TCC patients, and identified 1,023 somatic substitutions and 67 indels respectively. They performed whole genome sequencing (WGS) to detect copy number alterations (CNAs) and obtained 4-fold mean haploid coverage for each sample.
After evaluating the genetic alterations or variants, researchers found frequent alterations in two genes, STAG2 and ESPL1, which are associated with the sister chromatid cohesion and segregation (SCCS) process. Among them, STAG2 was particularly notable as to harbor a greater number of nonsynonymous mutations and a higher ratio of nonsynonymous to synonymous mutations. Their study indicated that chromosomal instability and aneuploidy had an influence on bladder cancer, and provided evidence that bladder cancer became the first type of cancer with major genetic lesions in SCCS genes.
Furthermore, researchers detected a recurrent fusion involving two other SCCS-associated genes, FGFR3 and TACC3, by transcriptome sequencing of 42 DNA-sequenced tumors. They suggested that FGFR3/TACC3 is related with bladder tumorigenesis, and the high expression of TACC3 was mediated by transcriptional regulatory elements in the promoter of the fusion partner, FGFR3, not the amplification of TACC3.
Keywords for this news article include: Genetics, Oncology, Treatment,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List