Our news journalists obtained a quote from the research, "Despite cheaper costs and high mechanical strength, the diffusion of small gas molecules such as oxygen through PET films remains a matter of great concern. The simple yet robust supramolecular deposition of GNP/polyelectrolyte on PET substrates significantly increases the tortuous path the oxygen molecule has to travel, making it harder to diffuse through the PET film. With permeability coefficients in the range of 10-18 cc cm/cm(2) s Pa, the coatings developed in this study show three orders of magnitude reduction as compared to the permeability coefficient of the bare PET film, significantly lower than that of ethylene vinyl alcohol (EVOH) and comparable to silicon oxide thin films used in commercial gas barrier foils. The use of GNPs in the multilayered films also helped reduce the electrical sheet resistance to about 1 M Omega which is five orders of magnitude lower than the original PET substrate opening up promising opportunities for future use in semiconductor and electronics industry. Making suitable modifications in the deposition process, three configurations of GNP embedded PEM multilayers namely hydrogen bonded, electrostatic, and composite films were developed and their effect on oxygen barrier property and sheet resistance was monitored."
According to the news editors, the research concluded: "Oxygen permeability of films was tested in accordance with ASTM D-3985 using a
For more information on this research see: Conductive oxygen barrier films using supramolecular assembly of graphene embedded polyelectrolyte multilayers.
Our news journalists report that additional information may be obtained by contacting
Keywords for this news article include:
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- 2014 Will Be 'Breakthrough Year' for U.S., Obama Says
- Prius Among Insurance Institute's 39 Top Safety Vehicles
- Target Overwhelmed by Worried Customers
- Congress Ends Turbulent Year with Approving IRS Chief
- First Family Arrives for Hawaiian Island Holiday
- Renewable Energy Group to Acquire Syntroleum
- Ally Financial Settles Auto Loan Suit
- Covered California Lags on Hispanic Enrollment
- Climate Change Isn't an Equal Opportunity Destroyer
- Luis Suarez Re-ups With Liverpool F.C.