CINCINNATI, Ohio - Officials at a cemetery that removed a slain Iraq war veteran's SpongeBob SquarePants headstone are planning to meet with the soldier's family to explore possible solutions.
Kimberly Walker's headstone was made in the likeness of the popular cartoon character and erected at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati on Oct. 10. Her family says they were told to remove it the next day even though the cemetery previously approved the design.
The family says they're beyond distraught. They say the towering $13,000 headstone was perfect for Walker, who loved SpongeBob.
Walker was killed in Colorado earlier this year, allegedly by her boyfriend.
Spring Grove President Gary Freytag says the headstone was approved by an employee who made "an error in judgment."
Officials will meet with Walker's family on Tuesday.
(c) 2013 The Canadian Press
Original headline: US-SpongeBob-Gravestone-Removed, Update
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court