CINCINNATI, Ohio - Officials at a cemetery that removed a slain Iraq war veteran's SpongeBob SquarePants headstone are planning to meet with the soldier's family to explore possible solutions.
Kimberly Walker's headstone was made in the likeness of the popular cartoon character and erected at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati on Oct. 10. Her family says they were told to remove it the next day even though the cemetery previously approved the design.
The family says they're beyond distraught. They say the towering $13,000 headstone was perfect for Walker, who loved SpongeBob.
Walker was killed in Colorado earlier this year, allegedly by her boyfriend.
Spring Grove President Gary Freytag says the headstone was approved by an employee who made "an error in judgment."
Officials will meet with Walker's family on Tuesday.
(c) 2013 The Canadian Press
Original headline: US-SpongeBob-Gravestone-Removed, Update
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline
- Obama's 'Between Two Ferns' Appearance Has Conservatives Upset