CINCINNATI, Ohio - Officials at a cemetery that removed a slain Iraq war veteran's SpongeBob SquarePants headstone are planning to meet with the soldier's family to explore possible solutions.
Kimberly Walker's headstone was made in the likeness of the popular cartoon character and erected at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati on Oct. 10. Her family says they were told to remove it the next day even though the cemetery previously approved the design.
The family says they're beyond distraught. They say the towering $13,000 headstone was perfect for Walker, who loved SpongeBob.
Walker was killed in Colorado earlier this year, allegedly by her boyfriend.
Spring Grove President Gary Freytag says the headstone was approved by an employee who made "an error in judgment."
Officials will meet with Walker's family on Tuesday.
(c) 2013 The Canadian Press
Original headline: US-SpongeBob-Gravestone-Removed, Update
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Boehner Says Impeachment Talk Is Democrat Scam
- You're So Vain: Microsoft to Launch First 'Selfie Phone'
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- U.S. Home Price Gains Slow for 6th Month in a Row
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply