CINCINNATI, Ohio - Officials at a cemetery that removed a slain Iraq war veteran's SpongeBob SquarePants headstone are planning to meet with the soldier's family to explore possible solutions.
Kimberly Walker's headstone was made in the likeness of the popular cartoon character and erected at Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati on Oct. 10. Her family says they were told to remove it the next day even though the cemetery previously approved the design.
The family says they're beyond distraught. They say the towering $13,000 headstone was perfect for Walker, who loved SpongeBob.
Walker was killed in Colorado earlier this year, allegedly by her boyfriend.
Spring Grove President Gary Freytag says the headstone was approved by an employee who made "an error in judgment."
Officials will meet with Walker's family on Tuesday.
(c) 2013 The Canadian Press
Original headline: US-SpongeBob-Gravestone-Removed, Update
Most Popular Stories
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Correction: North Dakota Saltwater Spill Story
- Infiniti Exec de Nysschen to Head Cadillac
- Perez Picks Heavily Hispanic Districts in Recount
- Economists Sharply Cut Forecasts for U.S. Growth
- Downside of Low Mortgage Rates: Less Selling
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- Liverpool Sells Luis Suarez to Barcelona