Canonical has announced the release of Ubuntu 13.10 operating software for both desktop and smartphone. Ubuntu's first true mobile release delivers the streamlined core OS and mobile user interface that could pave the way for full device convergence.
"This is a milestone in Ubuntu's history; the exact same Ubuntu OS runs on ARM phones and modern HP Moonshot ARM servers, and provides exactly the same capability as x86 platforms," said
Canonical says that it is working with partners to bring Ubuntu smartphone devices to market in 2014 -- although a recent crowdfunded attempt to manufacture the phones failed to raise the minimum amount needed.
"Thanks to our passionate community of early adopters and designers we've built a unique experience for end-users and for developers: one UI framework that scales across all the personal computing form factors" said
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- It's Primary Time in Texas
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- How to Survive a Subzero Stranding
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- N.M. Dems Say Nonprofit Helping Martinez Campaign