Oct. 22--This Theater Loop Showcase video is playwright Brooke Allen's "The Life and Death of Madam Barker," with music and lyrics by John Fournier, currently onstage at Red Tape Theatre. Molly Brennan plays Madam Barker, a brassy, history-hopping cabaret songstress who nightly relays her life story alongside a clownish ensemble. But this, Barker dramatically tells us early on, will be her final performance in the role. But you can't just replace Madam Barker. Here, she explains why she is the quintessential Chicago girl. "The Life and Death of Madam Barker" runs at Red Tape Theatre, 621 West Belmont Ave., through Nov. 10.
We filmed this video, a song from the show, in our studio in Tribune Tower.
Also check out our recent video of Tony Award winner Deanna Dunagan performing a monologue from "The North China Lover," which plays Lookingglass Theatre.
(c)2013 the Chicago Tribune
Visit the Chicago Tribune at www.chicagotribune.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Grizzly Bears Could Be Taken Off Endangered List
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Podesta Likely to Reject Keystone XL