The poster, titled "Combretastatin A-4 Phosphate (CA4P) is effective for the treatment of functional pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors (PNETs) in a transgenic mouse model," was presented by
This preclinical study was designed to evaluate the efficacy of systemic administration of ZYBRESTAT or CA4P for the treatment of functional insulinomas in a transgenic mouse model of PNETs. PNETs are highly vascularized tumors which originate in the pancreas. Functional PNETs make hormones that can cause a cascade of disease symptoms, resulting in significant morbidity for the patient. An insulinoma is a PNET that causes the over-secretion of the hormone insulin.
The treatment group received ZYBRESTAT three times per week for four weeks, and the control group received a placebo. After four weeks, tumor size, serum insulin levels and other efficacy parameters, including apoptosis (cell death), cell proliferation and effects on tumor vasculature, were assessed. Key results were as follows.
• Treatment with ZYBRESTAT resulted in a significant and sustained decrease in circulating insulin, with maximum effect seen by day 17 (p < 0.0001).• The reduction in insulin was accompanied by a significantly reduced tumor size in the treated group compared to the placebo group (p=0.0128).• Treatment with ZYBRESTAT was shown to disrupt tumor vasculature, induce apoptosis (cell death) and inhibit tumor cell proliferation.• ZYBRESTAT was shown to be well tolerated, with no obvious toxicity.
"The results of this preclinical study are very encouraging, showing a high degree of efficacy at well-tolerated doses. This study identifies vascular disruption induced by CA4P as a key mechanism in reducing both circulating hormone levels and tumor size," said
Most Popular Stories
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend
- GOP, Dems Strain to Unearth a Modest Budget Pact
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign