ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Overseers of Abu Dhabi's Grand Mosque say they asked pop star Rihanna to leave the compound after she posed for photographs considered to be at odds with the "sanctity" of the site.
Rihanna hasn't publicly responded to the actions by staff at the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque. Her show took place on Saturday in Abu Dhabi.
Photos posted on various websites show the singer posing on white marble, dressed fully in black, with her hair covered according to the mosque's guidelines.
The mosque statement, published Monday in local newspapers, said Rihanna was in an area normally off limits for visitors. It says the fashion-style photo session violated rules on the "status and sanctity of the mosque."
The mosque is a major tourist site in the United Arab Emirates' capital.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Original headline: UAE mosque shows Rihanna the door over photo shoot
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant
- Hamas Claims Gaza Ceasefire as Victory Over Israel