Analysts agree that iPads will star at an invitation-only event being held in
"Job One for Apple is to get something out there on the large-size iPad that gets people excited, then obviously from a specification focus, the Mini needs to catch up with what everybody else has done," NPD analyst
"There are a lot of other things happening in that large-size tablet space and there is a huge amount of choices in smaller devices."
Tablets face mounting competition from touch-screen notebook computers powered by Microsoft Windows software and priced between
"Apple will... be number one in large-size tablets probably for a long time, but the definition of competition will change," Baker said.
Apple is also under pressure to adapt to the popularity of premium tablets with high-quality screens in the 18-cm to 20-cm range where the Mini competes.
Online retail titan
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Names Woman to Board
- Aspen Contracting Adding 300 Jobs
- U.S. Chamber to Run Ads in Idaho, W.Va.
- U.S. Unemployment Rate Dips to 7 Percent
- Consumer Spending Rises, Incomes Fall
- Hispanic Employment Improves in November
- NSA Tracks 5 Billion Cellphone Records a Day
- Nelson Mandela Dies After Momentous Life
- American Eagle Issues Weak Q4 Outlook
- Budget Bargain Elusive as Time Runs Out