Connecting Varian's ARIA® Software to Siemens Linear Accelerators
As part of their EnVision Better Cancer Care global strategic partnership, the two companies will showcase Varian Exchange, a new interface for connecting Varian's ARIA® oncology information system with
Earlier this year, Varian and
Varian Brachytherapy Powered by Siemens Sliding Gantry Imaging
HDR brachytherapy involves delivering radiotherapy from inside the body by temporarily placing a tiny radioactive source directly into the tumor or other targeted area. Using a robotic device called an afterloader, clinicians place the radioactive source into positions through applicators that have been inserted into the area being treated.
"HDR brachytherapy treatments are planned using anatomical images of the targeted area taken after applicators have been put in place," said
Respiratory Gating and CT Imaging
"The RPM system, when used in conjunction with imaging, enables clinicians to understand how a tumor moves during a treatment," says Donohoe. "This makes it possible to compensate for tumor motion while planning and delivering radiotherapy treatments in the lung and other parts of the body that are subject to respiratory motion. By using these technologies together, cancer specialists can design and deliver treatments that minimize exposure of healthy tissues."
(1) Pending FDA clearance and not commercially available in the U.S. Due to regulatory reasons, future availability cannot be guaranteed.
Keywords for this news article include: Cancer, Oncology, Treatment, Technology,
Our reports deliver fact-based news of research and discoveries from around the world. Copyright 2013, NewsRx LLC
Most Popular Stories
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend
- GOP, Dems Strain to Unearth a Modest Budget Pact