PORTLAND -- The Portland Symphony Orchestra will bring two Broadway singers on board for its upcoming PSO Pops! Concert featuring the music of two of the world's greatest song writers, George Gershwin and Cole Porter. Performances will take place at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5, and at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 6, at Merrill Auditorium.
Derrick Pierce photo Mike Eldred
Jennifer Hope Wills
The orchestra will be led by Music Director Robert Moody and joined by guests Mike Eldred and Jennifer Hope Wills for an evening that celebrates the beautiful music of Gershwin and Porter, both known for their success as Broadway composers.
The first half of the program is dedicated to the music of Gershwin with "Nice Work If You Can Get It," "S'Wonderful," a medley from Porgy and Bess, and more. Cole Porter's music is the focus of the second half of the program with "I've Got You Under My Skin," and "Let's Do It, Let's Fall in Love," among other well-known pieces.
Tenor Eldred has appeared on Broadway in "Les Miserables" as Jean Valjean, and in the original cast of the Tony-nominated "The Civil War." Eldred sang with the PSO last year and has performed in concert with many of the finest symphony orchestras in North America. He has appeared on a number of recordings and DVDs in addition to recording three solo albums featuring his personal Broadway favorites, holiday tunes, and a tribute to John Denver.
Wills appeared as Christine for nearly four years in Broadway's hit musical "The Phantom of the Opera." Other Broadway performances include "Wonderful Town," "The Woman in White," and "Beauty & the Beast." She has performed with many of the top regional theatres across the country including the Sacramento Music Circus and the Pittsburgh CLO and she voiced the part of Liesel in the famous Salzburg Marionette Theatre's version of "The Sound of Music."
Tickets range from $25-$75 and are available through PortTIX at 207-842-0800, www.porttix.com or at the box office at 20 Myrtle St., noon to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?