MOST maize in
Some products contained up to 81 percent of GMOs.
Premier's Iwisa contained 81 percent of genetically modified content and its Nyala Super Maize Meal 87 percent. The GM maize content for Pioneer's White Star Super Maize Meal was 72 percent while Premier's braai pap had a 55.22 percent GM maize content. Woolworth's Super Maize Meal contained 80 percent GM maize.
The products were labelled "may contain GMOs" or "produced using GMOs".
The centre said regulations for labelling GM food were not being enforced and animal feeding studies had shown genetically modified maize causes liver and kidney damage in rats, mice and sheep, and stomach inflammation in pigs.
Most Popular Stories
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- GM Bailout Saved 1.2 Million U.S. Jobs, Report Says
- Bitcoin Used to Buy Tesla Car
- U.S. Companies Eager for Iranian Business
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- Banks Fret as Volcker Vote Approaches
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Yellen Set to Become One of World's Most Powerful Women
- Paul Walker Fans Pay Respects