By MARK KENNEDY
NEW YORK - "The Lion King" has more reason to roar - it's on pace to end the week as the first Broadway show to earn $1 billion.
According to The Broadway League, the show ended last week with a 16-year gross of $999,267,836. It regularly pulls in between $1 million and $2 million a week over eight performances at the Minskoff Theatre.
The show, featuring the music of Elton John and Tim Rice, brought the 1994 animated Disney movie to life onstage in 1997. Director and designer Julie Taymor created the memorable costumes, puppetry and scenic design.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say