Tokyo, Oct. 17 (Jiji Press)--The 26th Tokyo International Film Festival, which features over 300 films from around the world, opened at Tokyo's Roppongi Hills, its main site, on Thursday for a nine-day run.
The winner of the competition's top award, the Tokyo Sakura Grand Prix, will be determined on Oct. 25, the final day of the event.
A total of 15 films including two Japanese ones have been nominated for the top honor.
Ahead of the opening ceremony, actors appearing in films being screened at the festival appeared on the Green Carpet at the Roppongi Hills Arena.
Guest celebrities, including U.S. actor Tom Hanks, Japanese actor Koji Yakusho and Japanese film director Koki Mitani, were warmly welcomed by a throng of film fans.END
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response