Tokyo, Oct. 17 (Jiji Press)--The 26th Tokyo International Film Festival, which features over 300 films from around the world, opened at Tokyo's Roppongi Hills, its main site, on Thursday for a nine-day run.
The winner of the competition's top award, the Tokyo Sakura Grand Prix, will be determined on Oct. 25, the final day of the event.
A total of 15 films including two Japanese ones have been nominated for the top honor.
Ahead of the opening ceremony, actors appearing in films being screened at the festival appeared on the Green Carpet at the Roppongi Hills Arena.
Guest celebrities, including U.S. actor Tom Hanks, Japanese actor Koji Yakusho and Japanese film director Koki Mitani, were warmly welcomed by a throng of film fans.END
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- 3 Shot Dead in Venezuela Unrest
- Better Pay Means Bigger Profits: Strategist
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- Several Texas Cities Top Job Search List
- G7 Presses Russia to Pull Troops Out of Crimea
- Wall Street Rally Heads Off 3rd Day of Decline
- Senate Committee OKs Bill to Sanction Russia
- Obama's 'Between Two Ferns' Appearance Has Conservatives Upset