The Deshpande Center, acting as a catalyst for innovation and entrepreneurship, awards grants that fund proof-of-concept explorations and validation for emerging technologies.
The fall 2013 grant recipients are:
• Ultrasensitive Noninvasive Disease Monitoring Platform:
This project will leverage advances in nanotechnology to allow disease-specific enzymes to generate highly predictive 'synthetic biomarkers' that appear in the urine of patients for easy analysis. The approach dramatically broadens the number of diseases that could be detected and monitored by urinalysis and increases detection sensitivity and specificity.
• Targeting Oral Cancer:
The current treatment of oral cancer is to intravenously administer a highly toxic chemotherapy drug with systemic side effects. This project is developing a topical delivery of anti-cancer drugs that can significantly reduce the side effects while allowing for a more effective cancer treatment. (Renewal from Fall 2012 grant round).
• Drug Delivery System for Treating Post Traumatic Osteoarthritis:
Joint trauma can injure cartilage and lead to osteoarthritis within 10 to 15 years. Treating the joint and cartilage immediately after the injury could prevent long-term damage and arthritis. This project is developing a drug delivery system for the treatment of injured joints to prevent arthritis (Renewal from Fall 2012 grant round).
• Nanoporous thin films for water desalination and purification:
The project focuses on the development of graphene nanoporous thin-films (NTFs), which promise significant value for the fields of water desalination and filtration. The aim of this project is to develop fabrication techniques for ultra-permeable thin film membranes and to identify and optimize specifications for commercial applications with a global impact.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response